David works at Stanford University as a Manager - Stable Isotope and Geochemistry Lab. It's hard to catch David for major parts of the year, as he is off to exotic places like Chile or small south sea islands conducting climatological research.
This is David's 8th Spring Select season as coach and 10th year coaching in AYSO. His focus is on developing team chemistry, position responsibility, a possession game, and a strong defense. David's team is known as the Palo Alto Raptors.
The Palo Alto Raptors, for the second straight season took home 4 medals (two 2nd place and two 3rd place finishes).
Before the team became the Raptors in 2008 it was the Eagles in 2006 and the Supernovas 2007 at U10. Three on the 2012 team played on the Eagles, and 4 played on the Supernovas. In 2008, 4 played and in 2009, 5 played, and in 2010, 9 played on the white and 3 on the red team, and in 2011, 8 played. In 2012 we had 14 returning Raptors players.
- In 2010/2011 two players played on the Paly JV team.
- In 2011/2012 eight of this years Raptors played JV at Gunn (2) and Paly (6).
2013 U16B Spring Highlights - from the Palo Alto Online Sports Page, id=29830
After winning their spring league title with a 7-1-0 record, the Raptors have played in four tournaments and 25 matches since March 3 and have compiled a record of 20-2-3.
The Raptors won the El Palo Alto Invitational by beating San Mateo in the finals, won the Pacifica Fog Classic by topping Mountain View in the finale, captured the Davis World Cup by downing Davis, 4-2, in the title match, and then finished third at the Concord Cup XX, defeating Concord in the third-place match.
To medal at the Palo Alto, Pacifica, and Concord events, the Raptors had to play four games in two days. At Davis, they played six games in three days. Davis is the premier NorCal AYSO tournament.
Members of the Palo Alto Raptors include: Zach Chun, Chester Nguyen, David Vences, Matt Niksa, Will Goncher, Jasper Tom, Edward Chen, Austin Lin, Luis Hernandez, Jacob Mucciarone, Max Blachman, Ryan Niksa, Alex Szeptycki, Alex Murray, Nathan Brown, Jordan Ford, Harry Halsted, Rowan Mcevoy, and Ryan Araghi.
2012 U16B Season Highlights
2011 U14B Season Highlights
- 2012 Davis World Cup Tournament - 3rd Place (0-0 at the end of OT, 4-2 win in PKs), 1st seed in Bracket play with a perfect 30 points, 2-1 loss in semi-final, a total of 5 shutouts and only 2 goals against finishing 5W-0T-1L
- 2012 Concord Cup Tournament - 2nd place with a 3 to 2 finals loss to Concord United, finishing 2W-1T-1L
- 2012 El Palo Alto U16B Invitational Tournament - 3rd place finish with a win over Foster City United 2 to 1, finishing 2W-0T-2L
- 2012 Pacific Coast Spring Soccer League - 2nd place - Record 6W-1T-1L
- 2012 Spring Record - 15W-2T-5L
- 2012 Fall Record - 9W-0T-0L
2010 U14B Season Highlights
- 2011 Palo Alto U14B Invitational Tournament - Champions with a 2 to 1 victory over Concord United FC on 5-1-11 finishing 4W-0T-0L
- 2011 Pacific Coast Spring Soccer League - Champions - Record 8W-0T-0L
- 2011 Concord Cup Tournament - Champions with a 7 to 1 semi-final victory over MDSA Diablos and a 5 to 3 victory in the finals over Davis Mojo on 5-15-11 finishing
- 2011 Davis World Cup Tournament - 4th Place with 1st seed in Bracket play finishing 4W-1T-2L
- 2011 Spring Record - 19W-2T-2L
2009 U12B Season Highlights
- 2010 Pacific Coast Spring Soccer League - Flight 2nd place- Record 6W-0T-2L
- 2010 PHMSA Soccerfest Tournament - finishing 0W-1T-2L
- 2010 Pacifica Fog Classic Tournament - finishing 1W-1T-1L
- 2010 Concord Cup Tournament - semi-final finish, record 2W-1T-0L missed finals by goal differential (1 goal).
- 2010 Davis World Cup Tournament - Top 8, eliminated in quarter finals by Stockton who won the tournament, 2nd seed in Bracket play finishing 3W-0T-2L
- 2010 Spring Record - 12W-3T-7L
2008 U12B Season Highlights
- 2009 Pacific Coast Spring Soccer League - 4th out of 13- Record 5W-2T-1L
- 2009 Pacifica Fog Classic Tournament - finishing 0W-2T-1L
- 2009 Concord Cup Tournament - Semi-final finish - Record 2W-0T-1L
- 2009 Davis World Cup Tournament - eliminated in shoot out with MV Strikers who won the tournament, 2nd in bracket play finishing 2W-2T-1L
- 2009 Spring Record - 9W-6T-4L
2007 U10B Season Highlights (Supernovas)
- 2008 Pacific Coast Spring Soccer League - 3rd out of 10- Record 5W-2T-1L
- 2008 Pacifica Fog Classic Tournament - 3rd place, with win over MV 2-0 in consolation round - finishing 3W-0T-1L. Only loss was in pool play to Rancho Cucamonga who won the tournament.
- 2008 Comstock Shootout Tournament - finishing 1W-0T-2L
- 2008 Concord Cup Tournament -finishing Record 1W-0T-2L
- 2008 Davis World Cup Tournament - eliminated by 4th place Davis, 2nd in bracket play finishing 2W-1T-2L
- 2008 Spring Record - 12W-3T-8L
2006 U10B Season Highlights (Royal Eagles)
- 2007 Pacific Coast Spring Soccer League - No standings kept 3W-3T-2L
- 2007 Pacifica Fog Classic Tournament - 4th place, with win over Davis 3-1 in consolation round - finishing 2W-1T-2L.
- 2007 Concord Cup Tournament - 3rd of 6 teams, 1W-1T-1L
- 2007 Davis World Cup Tournament - eliminated by 3rd place Richmond, 3rd in pool play finishing 1W-1T-2L
- 2007 Spring Record - 7W-6T-7L
- 2006 Pacific Coast Spring Soccer League - No standings kept 4W-2T-2L
- 2006 Concord Cup Tournament - 0W-0T-3L
- 2006 Davis World Cup Tournament - 3rd in pool play finishing 1W-0T-3L
- 2006 Spring Record - 5W-2T-8L